Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Salzburg, the land of Mozart and FREE BEER?!

Two weeks ago (yeah, I'm behind in my blogging), I woke up and opened my door to make the 15 minute stumble to class. And what to my wondering eyes did appear, but a free keg of beer! Just sitting right in the middle of my door. There, all for me. All mine. For free. FREE. BEER.


It was like Santa went a little crazy and gave all of the rooms in the dorm a free keg. Which is exactly what happened. Heineken was doing some sort of promotion and gave every room in our building a free mini keg. Pretty amazing.

Such a thing would never happen in America. The way they view alcohol is so totally different here. I mean, we get FREE KEGS OF BEER, for Pete's sake. We also have Heimbar ("home bar") about once or twice a month down in the lobby of our dorm. Go on down, get a beer for 2 Euro, and then stumble back up to your room, if you so desire (or just sleep on the couch in the lobby like my friend Ben).

But yeah, alcohol is just so different. You can walk around the streets swigging a bottle of wine, if you want. You can get on the bus with it. You can get trashed in your student dorm kitchen. Or you can just have a glass of wine with dinner and friends. You can give your room mate a homemade bottle of Schnapps (like mine did! See Flickr).

Speaking of alcohol. This weekend is the start of Christkindlsmarkt, the open air Christmas markets in Salzburg! Guess who has two thumbs and will be in the old city, hitting up the Glühwein (spiced, warm wine) this weekend?

*points to self* This girl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like everyone just got a free keg. I'm so moving to Austria.